Our Philosophy on Privacy
Your Personal Information
Why do we collect it?
- To understand your needs and eligibility for products and services.
- To open, maintain and administer your accounts and provide financial services that meet your needs.
- To obtain credit reports and evaluate your credit rating and credit worthiness.
- To administer and manage security and risk in relation to your accounts and the financial services provided to you.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- To assist in dispute resolution.
- To offer and provide you with other products and services of the Credit Union and of its affiliates and service suppliers.
Who do we share your personal information with?
How can you access and verify your personal information?
The 10 Principles
- Accountability: We have designated a Privacy Officer who is accountable for our compliance with the principles of the Policy.
- Identifying Purposes: When we ask you for personal information, we will identify the purposes for which it will be used or disclosed.
- Consent: We require your knowledge and express or implied consent for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information.
- Limiting Collection: The collection of personal information is limited to the purposes we have identified for you.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention: We will use or disclose your personal information only with your express or implied consent, or as required by law. We will retain your information for only as long as is necessary to fulfill identified purposes.
- Accuracy: We will keep your information accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards: We will protect your personal information with appropriate security safeguards.
- Openness: We will make specific, understandable information readily available to you about our personal information policies and practices.
- Individual Access: When you request it, we will give you access to your personal information, how we use it and to whom we disclose it. You are entitled to question its accuracy, its completeness and its uses.
- Challenging Compliance: You are entitled to question the Privacy Officer about our compliance with any of these principles.
- Obtain credit reports or check references.
- Contact you about other products or services of the credit union by direct mail, email or telephone.
- Share your information with our affiliates so that we can offer their products and services to you.
- Disclose your information to third parties unless we are obliged to do so by law or it is required for us to provide our financial services to you.
- Conduct research and surveys to assess your satisfaction with the Credit Union, its products and services.
Links to other websites
- Your IP address,
- Your browser type and your operating system,
- Data such as the number and types of pages visited, and the length of time spent per page and on the site overall,
- Information that identifies you, such as your age and gender, to safeguard, detect and prevent fraud,
- Information to determine the suitability and eligibility of financial products and services.
Specifically, we use two kinds of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie exists only for the length of your browsing session and is deleted when you close your browser. A persistent cookie is one that stays on your computer after you close your browser. A persistent cookie may or may not expire on a given date.
What do we post?
The content we share across our social media channels aims to keep you informed about the latest happenings around Synergy and your local communities. We attempt to create content with a purpose every time we post.
Some of the content you may see includes:
- Products, services, promotions or contests.
- Synergy and community events
- Blog articles
- Financial literacy tips and help
- Media releases and news
- Content that showcases our positive community impact
In addition to the content above, you will also see that we share and retweet news and links from our community that are aligned to our values, and we believe will be relevant and helpful to our followers.
Some social media accounts allow us to not just be followed, but to follow accounts that are relevant to us. This could include individuals, local businesses, community organizations, co-operatives or thought leaders relevant to the impact work we do as an organization. Our choice to follow these accounts does not imply an endorsement or association of any kind. Should a Synergy social media page follow you and you do not wish to be followed by Synergy, please follow these guidelines from Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
Social media advertising
We strive to deliver you content, products and services that are interesting and useful to you. One way we do this is through interest-based, behavioral advertising with our third-party social media providers like Facebook or Twitter. Synergy uses third-party advertising tracking on synergycu.ca to gather information about your online activities, like the pages you visit the most. This information may then be used to deliver advertising that’s customized to your interests on our third-party social media pages. We will never track or monitor your private activity within Online Banking or any other secure areas of our website. For full details on how we protect your privacy please read our Privacy Code.
Some of our third-party advertisers include:
Online member support
Our members are frequently looking for new, convenient ways to receive service and support for their banking needs. We encourage you to contact our Member Contact Centre at 1-866-825-3301, through Live Chat or via email at email@example.com.
We can also use social media to have your questions answered in a timely manner. At Synergy, providing exceptional support to our members is core to what we do. Our social media support team is on hand Monday to Friday, 8:30am MST – 4:30pm MST.
Synergy will never ask for your account information, social insurance number or PAC, PAN numbers over social media. We may ask you to contact our Member Contact Centre or ask a representative to contact you if we cannot assist via social media.
When leaving Synergy Credit Union’s website
All Synergy social media pages are owned by third parties unaffiliated with us. We are not responsible for these third-party privacy or security policies. For full details on the policies of these third-party social media sites, please visit them directly: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube.
Team Synergy on social media
Our social media channels center on our community: from our employees to our members, local businesses and community organizations, our approach to social media is that our employees should represent us online as well. We give them some guidelines and then ask them to bring their unique perspective to our larger conversation. Synergy upholds everyone’s right to privacy online, and we ask our employees to do the same. We will never discuss a member’s personal transactions or account information online through personal staff accounts and instead direct our members to contact their branch or our Member Service Centre at 1-866-825-3301, so that their confidential information can be kept confidential.
At Synergy we’re fortunate to have many passionate staff and members who are engaged on social media and who will often share Synergy related content on their personal social media channels. These individuals are not compensated for these social media posts and are sharing content by their own will.
Protect yourself online
Protecting your privacy is our top priority. Please consider these techniques for remaining secure while using social media.
- Never publicly post your personal details such as your phone number, date of birth, address or employment details or common security questions (like your mother’s maiden name).
- Be judicious about whom you allow to be your “friend” online, or to join your network.
- Protect your mobile device. Do not leave your device unattended at any time and ensure you have privacy while using the Synergy mobile app. Ensure your phone’s password protection is up to date and be familiar with your account agreement obligations. More information about limiting your liability and our security guarantee can be found here.
- Review all third-party social media pages’ privacy policies, guidelines and security settings prior to use.
Synergy’s social media house rules
Our social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube) are meant to be treated as community space for all our members. We want to ensure our social channels are an inclusive and respectful place for everyone. Are you about to post? Make sure to keep these things in mind:
- Be respectful – We encourage everyone to have a voice, and welcome diversity and different points of view. Please be respectful of others and the differences that come from a diverse community.
- Keep things clean – Using profanities doesn’t make for an inclusive space.
- Privacy matters – Do not share personal information, you own or other members over any social media platform.
- Be relevant – Avoid sharing links and comments that are unrelated to our membership and their interests and values.
Posts that don’t align with our community guidelines will be removed from our pages. Users who consistently violate our community guidelines will be blocked from engaging further with Synergy’s social media channels.
Synergy Credit Union
101 - 4908 42 Street
Lloydminster, SK S9V 0E5
Attention: Privacy Officer
If, for any reason, you feel your concerns were not appropriately addressed, you may then take the matter to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner in Ottawa.